Friday, October 10, 2008

Exit strategies and plan B's

In this day and age, I think everyone secures some sort of exit strategy before embarking into a new field, be it on a personal or a professional level. With experience, we have learnt that we don't live in our ideal dream world, and that things happen, weather we like them to or not. And thus; we all tend to find a plan B, just in case.


But does that mean that ur not putting 100% into ur current situation/job/relationship.. That by having an alternative plan, u really don't have enough faith in whatever it is ur doing to start with? and that the presence of an exit strategy dictates how u act in some way? Even subconsciously?


We all know that great things need a leap of faith for them to happen, but is it really a leap of faith if u have a safety net in case things don't work out? Or is it cowardly?


What's ur take on it?


- to seeing things as they really are xx
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

8 comments:

مريم الفلاسي said...

Oh my god! This is so very true! And is just the reason why I almost never put my 100% effort in anything. I've always had plans B, c, d, etc. Plans that don't have to be something real, doable, or even called "plans".

I think it sucks. Or maybe not. Marra thought provoking your fastidiousness.

Big Pearls said...

I don't have an alternative plan. Is that bad?

Sham3at Al Jillas said...

I don't believe that having a Plan B is a negation of faith. I am a born realist and believe completely and utterly in Plan B's. I do, however, try to dedicate myself 100% to my current situation/job/relationship and find solutions to problems I might face. Yet, picturing worst case scenarios and having a Plan B, is an attempt I make to minimize the consequences upon encountering a disaster.

Ansam said...

I tend to plan things ahead.. and I do think of exit strategies (sometimes they are not an actual exit of the situation, but exit of the problem causing the situation... of you know what I mean?)

This is not lack of faith... but rather acceptance of it! you see?

Fastidious Babe said...

mi: i guess knowing that we have something to fall back onto makes it ok (in our heads) to screw up whatever it is we're doing.. vero? xx



BP: I guess not!


sham3at al jillas: i am a realist at heart too.. but i can't help but wonder if knowing that there is a plan b out there tampers with ur original plan. I guess its case dependent too..



ansam: oh yes i do see.. i plan ahead all the time, sometimes more than i would like to.. x

Fury said...

my modus operanid is do or die.In my case I work better when under stress(oooh adrenaline rush!!)so no plan b for me.I will only work on an alternative if plan A fails completely and utterly which is not a smart thing to do but thats me*shrugs*.

Fury said...

'scuse my typing, i meant modus operandi.

Fastidious Babe said...

oh i can TOTALLY relate to that! however, sometimes its safer to have a plan b.. but who plays safe huh? ;) xx